So this is what these big giants offered to freshers software engineers (the actual figures might vary) at IIT?
- Facebook – 44 LPA
- Google – 30 LPA
- Uber – 44 LPA
Needless to say your skills reflect how much you can earn, if you’ve got the right set of skills, this is what you could earn.
Now, I am very sure your next statement would be, but these packages are only for the IITs and not for the other graduates from other engineering colleges. Yes, of course, graduates from tier 1 colleges tend to bag great packages because of the skills that they possess plus the brand name says it all, it isn’t that easy getting into tier 1 colleges, it takes lot of hard work, entrances and scrutiny, out of 50 hardly 1 candidate makes it through.
If you’re reading this I’m sure you could relate to this, every year there are thousands of engineers graduating but rarely anyone gets hired in their job role. As saddening as it sounds, this is all because of the lack of skills in the technologies that these companies are working right now. While most engineering students are taught mostly things that are predated, it isn’t their fault the problem is in our education system. Which is why most engineers tend staying unemployed. Most of the engineering friends I know have shifted either into marketing or sales since finding a job in those domains was easier for them.
The recent market trend shows that there have been a tremendous growth for software developers. The web development sector has seen some great career growth within a short span of time and it is set to expand by 20% making its way to producing 20,000 new jobs in this field.
Now let us look at the different domains a web development industry hires for:
- Front-end development
- Avg salary – 4–6 LPA
- Back-end development
- Avg salary – 5–6 LPA
- MEAN Stack development
- Skills – MongoDB, ExpressJS, Angular, NodeJS
- Avg salary – 5–7 LPA
There is a huge demand for all the job roles and this will not end soon. Most of the professionals are looking forward to getting themselves upgraded for better growth and yes of course better salary. Again, only professionals/candidates who are efficient at working with these technologies have made it big, how? by simply showcasing their skills in these technologies.
Now, if you’re a fresher given a choice I would always advice you to go for product startups and not start a career in service based companies such as TCS, Accenture or CTS. First of all you won’t be happy with the salary secondly, you will learn nothing if you remain here, while there are people who have earned big but again they are the ones with the big position/designation.
The only way you could get there fast is by working things out for yourself, no one is going to do that for you. In order to go there you could follow a simple approach:
- Learn the skills in the technologies that these companies are looking to hire for, there are experts from whom you can learn today.
- In order to showcase your skills, you should work on projects, this will not only help you but will also help you gain technical experience.
- Once you have these skills, you can start building your portfolio and start applying for jobs and get hired in your dream job role.
To gain expertise in this field, many professionals have turned in to online resources in order to re-skills themselves. Some resources are Coursera, Udemy and Udacity and edWisor etc.
- Coursera, Udemy and Udacity offers courses and certifications in the fields such as web development and data science. However, the certificates might not really assure you a job.
- on the other hand is different from these platforms. They not only help you learn these skills but also help you get hired in product based companies/startups. There are 100+ companies hiring edWisor skilled candidates today.